19 March 2010

Day 47: The Sauna

The day after Saint Patrick's Day was my lucky day. Go figure.

Today during my lunch break, I ran to Western Union that was about 8 blocks away and easily retrieved my money. It went so smoothly, it seemed surreal. I rushed back to classes and arrived literally just on the hour. I had not eaten my lunch, and in case you had not noticed how important food is in my life, I could not merely skip over lunch so during our mid-point break I dashed over to a new sandwich place that is around the corner that makes fresh made-to-order sandwiches.

Classes went well today, I had enough energy, and besides my coughing up a lung every now and again, I feel pretty healthy. I think there is something in the air in the subways though, because every time I use them (without fail) I start coughing and I can hear everyone around me thinking that I have some horrible respiratory disease with which I have infected the whole train.

After classes I went with Paula to buy her bus ticket home for Easter weekend (in two weeks). In exchange she agreed to make the hike out to pay for Mendoza with me. I got the better end of the deal. The subway was super hot and crowded since we were leaving the city commercial center at essentially subway rush hour. Hence the 'sauna' experience. Paula and I came up with the awesome idea that if I had been here during October, we would have worn towels into the subway on Halloween and pretended we were actually in a sauna, that is how hot it was in there. To err on the side of way to much information, we were quite positively dripping.

Paula informed me as we were walking to the office (which is in an apartment complex) that this area of town is not considered safe. And there I was walking around with 1000 pesos and my passport. Thanks to my day-after Irish luck, nothing happened and now I am all set and ready for Mendoza. There is a costume contest one night on the trip, and I really hope that Flor and I can manage to put together something to win.

I went to Paula's house for ravioli, which was very nice, but what was super exciting was when I called Betty to tell her I had dinner plans and she told me that she was making the chocolate torta! I have invited Paula around for cake tomorrow because she has fed me multiple times now and I feel like this is a super important experience for her to have.

Well, I had a great day, no I am tired after spending a few hours in the subway and walking 'miles and miles' as Paula would say, so I am off to bed after doing my homework (translating one of my blog entries into Spanish).

No comments:

Post a Comment