01 March 2010

Day 30: The First of March

Well it is official: I have been out of the U.S. for 30 days. It has flown by and so much has happened that I am super glad I started this blog, I am already starting to forget when and what things happened.

Today we got a new 'batch' of students, but yet again, no one of my level. My level, which I might add, has graduated into Libro 4. That means I am currently holding the bronze medal, in a manner of speaking because the last book is Libro 6. Academic Olympics. Not quite has popular or famous yet. Give it some time.

I am feeling more and more at home with the faculty at the school. I am having a blast and I feel like I am learning as much about the way Argentinean people think outside the classroom, as I am learning about grammar etc. inside the classroom. For those of you interested in what I am currently studying in Spanish, I am working with the Moda Subjuntivo. I appreciate having three teachers a day because they all work differently, so if they happen to cover similar, or the same, material I get an entirely new perspective.

Paula, the school secretary who I have mentioned before, just moved to a new apartment closer to downtown. She had been living in one in the Palermo district, but it was dirty and very expensive, whereas her new one in the Recoleta district is clean, larger, air conditioned, and cheaper. What a deal. She is having a sort of 'just moved' dinner at her new home this Wednesday that I am looking forward to very much. It will be interesting to see what food is there.

Speaking of food (and yes, I sort of planned the transition, just a little bit), we had some lovely chicken, rice and corn on the cob tonight for dinner. Luke was out of the house working on a small photography project for his classes in Palermo, so he ate later. After my homework, I had a small serving of ice cream that Betty had bought this weekend. As she said it was not "Malvina's" (the ice cream store named for the islands, that is located right on the corner), but it was yummy nonetheless.

Today the primary schools started in Buenos Aires as well as in most of the country. The subway in the morning was not too bad, but I left quite early. Next week when the high schools start it is supposed to be "even more chaotic" as my teacher, Marcelo, says. I cannot wait. I cannot wait, because I cannot imagine it any more crowded.

Well, I will not be going on the school's field-trip this week because they are going to the Tramatango performance that I saw my first week in Buenos Aires. That is too bad, but with a school of full mostly new students, there is bound to be some repetition.

Well, the mundo de Harry Potter is calling me so I will close off my first month as usual:

Chao.

No comments:

Post a Comment