18 March 2010

Day 46: The Saint Patrick's Day

Unfortunately, Saint Patrick's Day was a disappointment, as far as a holiday celebration is considered. First off, almost no one wore green at all. Now, that is essentially the extent of my experience with the holiday in the U.S. especially as a kid. I am proud to say that I wore a bright green shirt.

Paula and Marcelo in the school office

Flor and me demonstrating how (not) to wear green

In the evening, police closed the remaining non-pedestrian roads around the school and there were tons of people, with more and more arriving by the minute. Everything was shaping up nicely until the rain started. It rained hard and without stopping. Andrés, Paula and I stopped in a restaurant for a little bit and met Flor wet outside on the street, but Andrés had just going through a breakup and since the water was dampening our Irish cheer, we decided to all head home.

Flor and Andrés as the rain started

Three of my (wet) Argentinean friends

My other ironically unlucky event today was my attempt to retrieve the money my Mom wired to me. I have been told repeatedly that for absolutely nothing do I need my actually passport. For everything, I could use my photocopy which is preferable in every sense as it is very unsafe to carry a passport in the streets of Buenos Aires. Apparently to retrieve money, however, you must have the original document. I had a little talk with the attendant, asking why they needed the original document as they will not scan it or be checking my travel history or anything similar, but all I got was that I must have it to get my money. Even my attempt at an irresistible smile failed (for those of you who have heeded my recommendation to see El secreto de sus ojos will find that comment more amusing). I can safely assume the woman was not feeling any Irish cheer. 
Flor and me drenched after running to the subway

So can anyone guess what I am going to do tomorrow? Thank goodness the men organizing the trip to Mendoza are letting me pay any time before Friday.

The only 'lucky' thing that happened to me was that I found about USD10 in my pocket this morning.

Scary fact that has been repeatedly surprising me this week: I only have one more week of classes!

Chao.

No comments:

Post a Comment