05 February 2010

Day 5: The Tango



I think that this blog will be published under the date of the 5th of February, because I am typing this at 01.00 in the morning. I just got back, came back early I might add, after the Tango event that I went to this evening. But first, I must talk a little about the day itself.

Today with breakfast Betty had bought a couple of Churros. They are tubular-shaped pastries with a similar texture to an American donut but with a ridged edge almost like the way Play-doh would look after it was squeezed through those little machines. That's a bit of a confusing description, but it's a little hard to describe simply. Anyway, they are eaten with sugar on top, dipped in dulce de leche or dipped chocolate and eaten quite often with coffee. Very tasty.

I stopped at a French bank on the way to school today to withdraw some money, I later heard of a Chase bank in a different area which I think I can use of a decreased transaction charge. But now I can go out this weekend and finally buy that book; I was given a couple of recommendations about where to go because the Harry Potter books are not as popular here as in the US. The subway ride felt very quick today, it was a little cooler, so it was only a sardine can, not a sweaty sardine can. Much better.

Classes were really fun today. In the first one, with Martha (pictured in the previous post), we had all written 5 sentences about our home country: 3 true and 2 false. We had so much fun discussing them and going off on tangents that we only got through 2 each. It is interesting which facts filter through the countries: Martha new a lot about Presidents Bush and Obama, but had never heard of OJ Simpson. That was an interesting discussion.

Well, the more exciting part of the day was the Tango performance which most of the students at the school (just under 30) when to this evening. It was called Tramatango and was a mix of contemporary dance to Tango beats, and more traditional modern tango. It was very well choreographed, with 4 couples that were young and did both styles of dance, and two older couples who did only the modern Tango. It was enjoyable, but I don't think that Betty would have enjoyed it because a lot of the people from her generation and older don't like the "showy" aspects of the Tango now. To Betty, the Tango shouldn't have any high kicks, or the larger embellishments that are popular in the modern Tango.

After the show a large percent of the school went to a restaurant for some drinks. The restaurant turns in a bar during the night, but apparently not until more like 01.00. Still, there was a singer there with a little dancefloor and loud music to a variety of Latin beats (including a translation of "I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor!). But Judith thought that it would be best to return home, because we do have class tomorrow (or I guess now it would actually be "today").

So: today's pictures are of the theater where the Tango performance was, I apologize about the quality: I took it from across the street and it was in that awkward light/distance where flash does not work, but there is not really enough light. But you at least get the picture (pun fully intended). The second is the entrance to my school, there is a nice restaurant down below on the 0th floor (they use the European floor system) and no single sign or anything to indicate that there is a school there. Alright, Good night, good morning, I'm off to bed.

Chao.

2 comments:

  1. Were the churros any different from the ones in Spain. They sound pretty similar, especially the chocolate part! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they were really similar. A little smaller, but exactly the same taste and texture.

    ReplyDelete