06 May 2010

Day 94: The Guatemalan Food

Today food was pretty much the major component. I started the day off with two fried eggs and salsa, some melon, and a little sweet bun.

During the morning Carmen was occupied, so I stayed back in the room and did some research into opportunities for volunteer work. I also went through various brochures from around town and noted all of the upcoming events (including art, dance, and film) that are taking place in Antigua. Volunteer-wise, I came across a couple of promising options, I now need to make some emails to see what we can get started.

Lunch consisted of a fancy-shmancy soup that Maria Elena cooked up for me. It was filled with spices, chicken and a couple vegetables. She served it with rice on the side (to put into the soup), bread and melon. Apparently, it is a soup usually prepared on special occasions, such as weddings, so I was a little confused (yet nonetheless happy) that she made it today. It definitely tasted like nothing I had ever had before. In a good way.

I met Carmen and Santiago in the park at 3.00. Carmen gave me the contact information of a Waldorf school that is situated under 3 hours from Antigua, just in case I could go there for any amount of time. It would be a great experience to see and interact with a Waldorf school here, I hope I am at least able to visit.

Well, by then enough time had passed with out some edibles, and so when we met up with Nick after a short while we headed off for some ice cream. I had 'choco menta y galleta' better known as 'mint-choc-chip and cookie dough.' Santiago had a speech therapy class at 4.00, so we dropped him off just north of the central park. During the hour of that class, Nick, Carmen, and I went to 'Espacioce' which is the Spanish cultural center in Guatemala.



Inside the former convent




Arch meets Tiles meets Ruins meets Volcano


Artsy-fartsy, pretty flower

They have events going on during the month (I got a flyer so I can add the dates to my list tomorrow) including cultural films every Wednesday and different types of workshops. The building is a former convent and had a very tasteful architectural design. After walking around a little bit, the three of us went to a artisan store nearby that had lots of local crafts. On the walls hung lots of typical outfits from many different regions of Guatemala for both men and women. They also sold wooden objects, woven goods, and the classic funny tee-shirts and mugs.


Shortly after retrieving Santiago from his lesson, we parted ways: the family heading home, and I making a quick stop at the bakery before heading to my 'home.' So, I could not stop thinking about that bread from yesterday, so I decided to purchase a loaf (for USD3) of banana bread just to have in my room for whenever I get the munchies. I have already had three slices. They are very thin.

Dinner was quite scrumptious. A homemade chicken tamale served with black beans, rice and bread. María Elena had made the tamales that afternoon, and they were delicious. One of her daughter's friends came over when I was finishing up, and María Elena caught me off guard with an outragous compliment, telling the girl that my Spanish was almost perfect. Although I was flattered, the truth is I am continually made aware of how my four months abroad will have only scratched the surface of the language. Still, we all like to hear compliments about ourselves, no matter how disproportionate or exaggerated they might be.

It was a gorgeous day, sunny but with a temperature that was lovely when standing in the shade. Pretty clear skies and low humidity, and I was a happy adventurer today.

I am currently in my nightly dilemma: open the doors and relish in the cool night breeze but also play host to every cruel, blood-sucking insect in Guatemala that has sampled my blood and I am sure is now waiting impatiently at the doorway, or bare through the humidity of my room and wake up tomorrow morning with significantly more blood in my body and less puncture wounds throughout. Maybe I will just have another slice of banana bread, and then I will not mind either outcome. Dang, the bread is so good. Goodnight, everyone.

Chao.

No comments:

Post a Comment