17 May 2010

Day 103: The Paint Job

 It was hard to believe it was Friday today, now two weeks away from Buenos Aires. I woke up feeling quite rested, and only moderately covered in bites. I think that my lower back is getting targeted during the night…possibly something in the bed? My Grandma will certainly appreciate the humor in the idea of ‘bed bugs.’ I had my two slices of bread before scrambling down to the school.

My first task this morning was to go fetch the gallon of white paint that a friend of Josh’s had offered to us. The guy, Eduardo, worked in construction and was working on a house closer to the water. Josh drew me a map and sent me on my way into a neighborhood with considerably larger and much more ‘American’ looking houses. Although I was initially dismayed when I was told that Eduardo was not at the site, my oh-so-handy Spanish skills procured the solution; he had left the paint at the house so after hunting for it for a little while, a different worker found it for me.

My next job was finding empty cartons to use for mixing the paint with the powder dyes. I got enough from hunting around campus, and I also got a hold of some spongy material, padding really, originally used in a mattress that was old and unwanted. From the padding, I cut off small pieces and used them instead of a brush. They gave me the Steiner look I was after.

I had a great time of it mixing all of the paints, trying to get certain shades, dealing with streaks of unwanted colors, allowing the little folks to wash their hands around meal times and when the used the potty, and keeping myself and the area relatively paint-free. I actually used considerably less paint than I had originally thought I would, and I hope to go in tomorrow and do some touch-ups and final details. I think it is turning out well, not exactly as I had planned, but I have no real complaints. I just hope they do not decide to paint over it immediately after I leave. At least wait a week.

I painted for most of the day, from about 09.30-10.00ish until close to 3.00 is my guess, with a short pause to munch on today’s snack of popcorn and watermelon, and another pause to eat lunch (beans, tortillas and some veggie mix that I am not too sure what was included, but I know there were beets since everything was red). I had a few curious audience members, one boy in particular who every time he went to the restroom, asked me what I was doing, why I was doing it, and the last time he included “Why are you so dirty?”
Kindergarten


Main pathway

Kitchen

Part of front playground

Leroy in one classroom

I should have mentioned this earlier, but last night I went over to Josh and Courtney’s house for a chat. I had already eaten down in the town, but it was nice to sit with them, their two children (Althea, 8 and Miraby, 18mths) and Katie the admin assistant was there too. We had a very nice conversation; it was a nice way to round off the day.

Today after the paint job was finished, after I had cleaned out all the associated buckets and tried to clean myself off a bit, I returned home. I had just sat down to read a little bit when the rain started. It had felt like it was going to rain, so I was not too surprised, but it really came down. I have been told before that Guatemala does not have 4 seasons, only dry and wet. May is the beginning of the wet season, now I can see why. Rain or shine, my stomach was craving edibles, so I ate a few slices of bread while the rain got the lightening out of its system. The church tried to start broadcasting its ceremony, but was drowned out (perfect usage, if you ask me) and soon gave up. Once the rain broke a bit, and was only falling lightly, I donned my raincoat and skedaddled down the mountain. As I was descending, I heard the church start up again.

I ate Il Giardini, the same place as last night, but tonight I got myself a pizza. I was, again, the only customer. They put a little candle on my table on the porch, and the lady literally made my pizza right then and there. In fact, she served the pizza so soon after taking it out of the oven that I properly burned my tongue on the first bite. One of those burns on the roof of your mouth where it feels like a marshmallow just blossomed out of the tissue. It is still throbbing a bit.

I have made acquaintances at the travel agency/restaurant that is in town here in San Marcos. I would really like to leave out of here and not have to lug my stuff across the lake again, so I was talking with the people there before dinner. Unfortunately, the only have a morning bus to Antigua, leaving at 09.00 in the morning. I would have preferred an afternoon trip, so that I could go in on Monday, say goodbye to everyone, and then leave after lunch. I would like to get back on Monday so that I can get everything settled in and start my work in El Hato on Wednesday. I might still go on Monday, just say a quick farewell to everyone that morning before the bus leaves without me.

Well, things are looking pretty good right now, the rain has stopped, and the collection of bug bites that I had amassed somehow on the lower part of my back has gone down; I am so thankful I brought along my ‘SssstingStop.’ Yes, I will do some advertizing, that stuff has saved my butt. Literally.

All right, off to bed, I hope to go to school tomorrow at 09.30, do all the little things that I feel I can do without going too perfectionist on the side of a bathroom, and then spend the afternoon relaxing.

Chao. 

No comments:

Post a Comment