19 May 2010

Day 107: The Bus Schedule

I woke up feeling very happy with how my housing situation had worked out. I had a good breakfast, cereal, fruit, bread... bread from that bakery, I might add, but a new type: carrot. Tastes just like carrot cake without being has bad for you. Well, I am only sure about the first half of that sentence.

I had a bit of a queasy stomach today. For that reason, I did not go out in the morning, drank water, and told myself that I was not allowed to become ill with only two weeks to go.

I only ate part of my lunch, which was nothing spectacular, chicken, potato squares, and beans, all served a little cold. Maybe I am in a slightly more pessimistic mood today, just do not feel my best.

After lunch, I braved the looming gray storm clouds and walked over to behind the market to where all of the bus routes originate. I, after a little trouble and several eager people who happily pointed me in the wrong direction from which I had just come, I found the María Victoria bus, the one that runs up to El Hato. I talked to the drivers who were sitting inside and got a schedule from them.

I have to leave super early each morning, the bus passes the market at 05.50, and depending on the day of the week, I can either return at 12.15 or 3.15, or at 5.50 in the evening. Tomorrow it looks like I will be spending 12 hours breathing mountain air.

I talked to Angelica about a pack-lunch (a good idea of Carmen's), and she said that I could bring a sandwich up with me each day. We will see how that goes, if there are problems, I am sure we can work something out. I

deally, right now I would rather not move up to El Hato for two reasons: one, I would rather not have to move again, since I have such a short amount of time here anyways. Two, it is cheaper to pay the bus fare and live down here in Antigua than make the transition to the Earth Lodge up in El Hato.

I ate dinner with two of the permanent guests that live upstairs. They are Guatemalans, but they chose to rent out rooms in Antigua and from here make the commute to the city each day for work, rather than do it from their hometown. Apparently, it is much more convenient, and not that uncommon. They were both quite nice; they asked about Texas, one of them had been before, and asked my opinion on Presidents Obama and Bush (about the latter they asked if his name was pronounced "B-uh-sh" or B-oo-sh" and I said it is sort of compromise, but I recommended that they favor the second option if in doubt).

Alright, since I have to be up tomorrow before every other reasonable soul in the area, I will head right off to bed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment