21 April 2010

Days 79-80: The End Is Nearing

The last two days have been very routine and ordinary without any changes or wild adventures. I think that I have become accustomed to living my life as a mock-Argentinean without finishing up my time as a tourist. I feel like because I have either had classes or hospital time, I have not toured throughout the country or the city for that matter in the same manner I would have if I had been here on a more simple schedule. I have no regrets for how I have organized and spent my time, on the contrary, I am incredibly happy with how everything has gone. I will just have to return again to see more of Argentina and the rest of South America.

Yesterday I did half a morning of observing Dr. Mazia with a patient consult, and then we both walked upstairs for the class that he was teaching on vertigo. Dr. Mazia started off the lecture with the film trailer for Hitchcock's Vertigo, which earned quite a few laughs from the group.

I felt oddly sleepy, as I have for a few days now, so I did not go to tango yesterday. I have been getting plenty of sleep, eating and drinking regularly and healthily, so I am not sure what the deal is, but Betty and a few of the other students have voiced similar opinions, so maybe it is a climactic thing. It has felt like it is going to rain for the past few days, although we have yet to see a drop.

I watched the program called Mujeres Asesinas again last night, it is about real stories of women who commit murder, and each episode is individual, unique, and the three I have seen have been very powerful. Good acting and the characters are close to unbelievable. Last night it was the husband who was the pain in the booty. He was so insufferable that Luke (who came and watched it with me) and I were sitting there just waiting for the wife to snap. Yes, so it is a morbid show concept, but it is entertaining and excellent Spanish practice. Plus I only have one more week to see it.

Today, there was a class and a half. Yes, I mean that. The first class we had was with a new doctor, called Dra. Losavio. She was very nice, quite personable, but she presented for ever and a day. She had a 57-slide presentation (compared to the formally 'long' presentations of Dr. Mazia that were mid 30s). She taught a lot, and it never got too boring, but the class was too long. We went right through our break and into part of the time slot for the second class. They still, very nicely, gave us a little break after the class (on neuron synapse diseases). I went out onto the terrace and chatted with a few of the students, enjoying the gentle (still morning by my standards) sunlight.

We had just begun the second class on headaches when we were interrupted by a herd of doctors all in white lab coats. Apparently, our classroom was the only remaining available room for their conference. So, after some momentary confusion, we were kicked out. We are either going to continue the lesson tomorrow or next week Tuesday.

I did not go to Tango either today. I would have, but I had made plans to meet up with Martin. Unfortunately, at the last minute the university called him needing his attendance for something or other. What ever it was, he could not make it around, so I was left Tango-less and friend-less. So, I just chilled on my own and did some more reading.

Alright, enough rambling for the last two days, I am just living these last few days as they come, trying to enjoy the moments I have left of this awesome experience.

Chao.

1 comment:

  1. Loved your 'herd of doctors' comment! Great visual image. :)

    xoxo

    Mom

    ReplyDelete