18 April 2010

Days 75-77: The Penultimate Weekend (!!)

Friday was a long day. I went to my last day of medical classes, or what I think was my last class since Dr. Mazia is returning Monday, and we had two lectures on Epilepsy. During the second class that was more focused on treating epileptic attacks and the urgency of rapid treatment, Dra. Santoro digressed slightly and talked a little bit about how important it is to educate the family (not only the patient) on whatever condition the patient has because it never effects the patient alone. During the pause between classes I talked with one of my classmates about the US. It is always interesting to hear peoples' perceptions of my home country, especially the things that come first to mind. With this girl it was not a celebrity, or a president that she spoke of first, but of some obscure video she saw on the website YouTube about a circus act on a California beach involving large rings or hoops. She seemed a little disappointed when I told her that I had never heard of that specific event, and I tried to explain how there is so much that happens in the US of which every citizen is not aware.

That evening I did not have a Tango class, since I had finished off my hours for the week on Thursday, and so I went around to Paula's house at about 11p. There were a bunch of other people there, Flor and 6 others. And save one they were all a lot older than me. Now, really, they were only in their early to mid thirties, but that gap spans quite a lot further for a conversation than is immediately obvious. We had made plans to go out and meet up with AndrĂ©s and Martin, but Flor wanted to just stay at Paula's house and hang out with her friends since she works a lot and does not have a chance to see them casually as often. I just felt a little out of the loop in that company, so I called a taxi and went out to meet up with Andres and Martin. I think it ended up working out well, I had a really great night out and I think the folks at Paula's house did too. Saturday I slept in, but not as much as I had planned. I went out and bought another big salad (I cannot write those two words without thinking of Seinfeld) with a slice of pizza. I also caved  into my sweet tooth and bought two little pastries for dessert from the bakery that is (un?)conveniently placed between the pizza restaurant and the apartment.

That evening I met up with Paula again and after eating some pizza with two friends we met some more friends at a club. Now, I just want to give a little description of the club because it was quite unique. The building itself was very sleek and modern, but they were featuring a sort of mini circus act with jugglers and other performers. I was quite surprised, and amused, and impressed. They were really good. I took a short video clip that I want to share, but it is taking a while to upload with the connection here. The only downside to the night was that I was tired. There was a lot of dancing, everyone in Argentina dances, but the music was only reggaeton and cumbia so after a few hours I started to reach my limit. Still, I had a great time. I am continually asked why I do not drink a lot when I am at a club here, but although I will taste a new drink or have a little beer with pizza, I am actually glad I am not as interested in alcohol because the mornings afterwards would be even harder. I already struggle just from sleep deprivation. I guess I am not fully Argentinean yet, their lives are active essentially 24 hours.

Today was the ultimate chill day. It was rainy outside, with spattered thunderstorms. While I was eating dinner there was a bout of lightening that was lighting up the whole city horizon. I had made no plans and I did not feel the obligation to be anywhere in particular, so I lounged around reading the multiple books in Spanish that I have started. The only problem is that each time I received a new one I started it immediately, so now I am in the middle of a few at once. I guess that is not too bad a predicament, really.

Well, hospital tomorrow morning, I do not know what to expect. I hope everything went well with Dr. Mazia in Canada and that his flights had no problems.

Oh, one final happy thought to leave you all with is that I finally had an experience I had been wanting to have for some time. I bumped into an acquaintance out and about. Now, that might sound pretty lame, but since there are so many people in Buenos Aires (says the suburban boy) that I had been hoping to just meet someone that I new on the street or somewhere where I was not expecting to see anyone I knew. Well, when I was out at the circus-y club (called "Fiesta Clandestine") I bumped into a friend from the Mendoza trip! It was very strange to see this woman away from the tour group, but it made me really happy.

Chao.

No comments:

Post a Comment