07 April 2010

Day 65: The Double Blowout

I woke up a little later than I had while going to school as my meeting at the hospital was scheduled for 10.00a. I got to take the subway in the opposite direction since the hospital is located almost equidistantly to the west from the school. I found the hospital with essentially no problems, I only had issues with finding the doctor. After waiting outside what turned out to be an empty consultation room for a while, I was finally directed to a different office. Doctor Claudio Mazia is a neurologist, and we met today after talking briefly via email. He was very nice, from what I understand he speaks some English, but I am proud to say that my comprehension skills are now such that we conversed sin problemas in Spanish. It turned out that I could not start my practical today, but instead I am to arrive earlier (08.30a) tomorrow to start my observation. Apparently the man who coordinated everything for me did not tell Dr. Mazia that I have not yet started medical school. I think that was a bit of a surprise. So, after less than 2 hours I left the hospital.

I had planned on spending longer there, naturally, so I decided to go for a little bit of a walk. I followed the route of the subway and walked a good ways, past a cemetery and through new neighborhoods. It was quite freshly cool today outside, so it was a very nice experience. The woman with whom I had contact for the classes in Tango that I am going to be taking told me that I could meet with her after 4.00p, preferably 5.00, to discuss hours and times per week of the classes.

After a small snack after midday, I studied a bit of vocabulary (how nerdy, I know, but I felt obligated somehow) and read some of a comic "novel" I must call it since it is so substantial that I was given by Germán on my last day, El eternauta.

At essentially 4.30p I headed out to the studio, which turned out to be a bar/restaurant that has a dance floor and hosts classes during the week. The woman I had talked with, however, called Ceferina was not there having gone to the doctor. She was supposed to return at 6.00p, but knowing Argentineans and their concept of punctuality, I knew it would be later. I hope nothing is seriously wrong with her and it was just that she forgot about the appointment when we last talked before I left for Mendoza. Anyways, I decided to go for another little stroll through the city. I walked east and then north and went right past the school about half an hour later. I rang the bell to see if on the off chance that someone would be there, but there was only the cleaning woman.

I decided to take the subway line that is closer to the school and change lines on the way home, a variation on my routine that I made off and on while at the school. There is a square near the subway entrance and as I was about to enter I heard the sound of bagpipes being played in the from the other side of the square. I could not see the player, but the music was great, and so I followed it around the statue that is in the middle of the square. I sat down on some steps and listened to the man playing the bagpipes for half an hour. It was really nice. I love how unique the sound from that instrument is. Anyway, I left after he played the song that to me is the classic 'bagpipe' song, I do not know the name, but every time I think of bagpipes, that's the song that comes to mind. It really made my day.

I came back home, ate some empanadas and I just finished watching a terrific television program in Buenos Aires that is a series about female murderers, all real-life stories. The acting is great, and it is a really good opportunity for more comprehension practice. I have seen two now, two weeks in a row; apparently the show runs every Tuesday.

Now it is off to the bed with me as I have an early start to what will hopefully be a busy day tomorrow.

Chao.

No comments:

Post a Comment