02 June 2010

Day 121: The Final Day in Antigua

Today I had the laziest morning of my time here in Guatemala, possibly during this entire experience. I woke up, read some, ate my breakfast, and read some more.

I was monitoring the Continental website, looking for more information on my flight. I came across two other websites that seemed to be reporting that there were flights arriving and departing from the airport, but I was not sure if they were incorrect. Carmen, however, confirmed that the airport was indeed up and running. What a relief. With the airport open two days before my flight, I feel confident that I will have no problems.

Tomorrow the shuttle will be coming to my house at 11.00 in the morning. With all luck, I will be arriving in the City at about 12.30-12.45. Carmen's parents are expecting my arrival, though I will call when I have made it and let them know where the shuttle dropped me off. The shuttles normally only go to hotels, so we chose one hotel, but I will ask the driver tomorrow if there is any chance he can take me directly to where Carmen's parents live. I sort of doubt he will, though.

I had a very nice dinner with Carmen, Nick, and Santiago. We went to a restaurant/bar called Hector's with a very nice atmosphere, very rustic and cozy. The food was quite fancy, and delicious. I had an open-faced steak sandwich with french fries that were home made within earshot. I had a chocolate fondant for dessert that was warm in the center and had a strawberry plopped on top. Quite excellent.

Nick, Carmen, Santiago

Santiago and Nick

It was nice to have a chance to see their family once again before leaving. I had not seen them for quite a while, I saw Carmen and Santi briefly when she dropped off my bag after I returned from San Marcos, but really it had been a few weeks. I shared some stories of my experiences in San Marcos as well as in El Hato. We also discussed the recent weather-related news. The neighboring city where Santi attends school was devastated by the storms. They had a huge amount of water/mudslide damage. We were very lucky here in Antigua.

I am excited for tomorrow. I have become accustomed to my life here, so it will be nice to change things up a little. And there are plenty of opportunities for something to go wrong in the next two days, so I can expect plenty adventure.
Angelica (pink), husband, daughter and MarĂ­a household helper


I have almost finished reading all of my Spanish literature that I have with me, so I am saving it and trying to make it last as long as possible. Therefore, I will do some reading in English tonight before bed.

Chao.

No comments:

Post a Comment