01 June 2010

Day 120: The Beginning of Overtime

Today was the first day spent in Guatemala that was not originally scheduled. I had the whole day to run around and do nothing, so I decided to head up to the school and say some goodbyes.

I got up at 08.30 and had a relaxed morning. I left the house at a bit after 11.00 with the aim of catching the midday bus up to El Hato. Something went wrong though, I got the times or places mixed up and I ended up missing that bus. So, I went and had lunch at Pollo Campero, figuring it might be the last chance I got for a while, and made it back to the market to catch the bus leaving at 2.10.

Waiting at the bus stop


Part of the market

One of 'my' former children was riding up to El Hato with her mother and two siblings. She was happy to see me, and it was nice for me to be able to see at least one of the kids before I left.

"Pretty kitty"
MarĂ­a Fernanda and her brother


Road between school and Earth Lodge


Two children, girl is student


Happy to show off


Laundry with a view

I went to the Earth Lodge and chatted with Emma for a while. I also talked with British, Canadian, and an American guest who were all sitting at the table. Conversations are always interesting at the table, full of opinions. Topics today included English football teams and smoking bans, especially in how they differ between British Colombia and Guatemala. We also covered the Olympics briefly. And the Arizona immigration law. I finally got a picture, though it is not the best photo, with Emma and Jonathon, which was an important accomplishment. They were really great, and they are doing wonders for that school.

Emma, Jonathon, Me


View of Earth Lodge from entry path

I also jotted down a little note for the kids of Dora's class, saying thank you and telling them to study English so that when I return I will not have to speak a word of Spanish with them. I also gave Dora's classroom key to Emma, along with the keychain with its little, white, stuffed dog. It is a bit of a bummer that the school does not have classes this week, since the school was essentially undamaged, but the whole country has no classes this week (as I read in this morning's paper). It would have been really nice to get to see them all one last time, but if I had to choose, I would rather have the assurance of a flight home again.

"Number of deaths rises to 82"


"Week without classes in entire country"


"Hard work Thurs. (l) and Sat. (r)"

The latest on that front is that the airport is supposed to open Wednesday or Thursday. I am hoping it opens on the former so that I know that my flight will leave. But, if I am one of the first flights out of the airport, I will not complain one bit. My shuttle is scheduled to take me into the City on Wednesday around midday, so I will have just over 24 hours before my flight the next day.



Tomorrow, being my anticipated last day in Antigua, I shall go out into the city to do some walking around. I would like to meet up with Carmen (and family) if possible, but I understand they have separate lives. It should be a pretty relaxed day, like really this whole month has been. The lifestyle here is very in the moment, there is not much fuss about the future. A mindset that is good for me in the short-term, but would frustrate me a little over a longer period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment